Explore Little Falls, New York
Explore Fun Cultural Heritage Festivals Year-Round!
Little Falls is proud of its diverse cultural heritage, and celebrates its uniqueness with numerous exciting and colorful street festivals throughout the year. Here are just a few of the cultural heritage festivals that you can enjoy in our historic community:
- Art Walk. June 15th, 3-8pm. Main Street comes alive with great displays by talented local artists! Meet local artists and enjoy glass blowing, yarn bombing, DIY comics, demonstrations, live music, great food and much, much more.
- Water Music NY. July 5th. Celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Erie Canal with a street-fair in Rotary Park, culminating in a river-front performance by the Albany Symphony Orchestra, regional choirs, and a dazzling fireworks show! For more information, visit the MVCA website!
- Cheese Festival. July 8th. Owing to its rich dairy farms, Herkimer County has always stood out as a premiere producer of cheese products, and in the early 1800s much of this delicious food came to market through Little Falls, which was then a thriving port on the Erie Canal. But beginning in 1864 Little Falls briefly became the most famous interior market for the cheese trade in the world, when a prominent agricultural journalist from Little Falls by the name of Xerxes Willard began publishing weekly articles on the Little Falls market in several important New York newspapers. In 1871 the first Dairy Board of Trade was established in our community, and Willard's widely-read reporting on the activites of that exchange cemented the repuation of Little Falls as "cheese capital of the world". While cheese marketing is no longer significant factor in the Little Falls economy, the Cheese Festival is a newly created annual celebration to honor the past and advocate for a renewed interest in regionally-made dairy products. For more information, visit the Cheese Festival website!
- Midsummer Picnic. July 20th, 4-10pm. Enjoy a good, old-fashioned community picnic in Sterzinar Park! Fun and free events include a live local band, a Shakespearean performance, Makder's Faire, stargazing, guerilla chalk haiku, en plein air art, and a children's talent show.
- Canal Celebration. August 7th-13th. Little Falls was born of the water. The community was first settled by traders and workers serving the needs of the river traffic that was forced to portage around the Little Falls rapids on the Mohawk River. In the 18th century, the Mohawk River powered the busy textile mills that sprang up along its banks, and the Little Falls harbor on the Erie Canal served to move both agricultural and industrial goods to market. The Canal Celebration is a week-long summer-time festival that honors our dependence on the water with an epic annual parade, dozens of great regional bands, scads of fun family events, a community picnic with a firework show, a 10K run, a golf tournament, and plenty of exciting adult events. For more information, visit the Canal Celebration website!
- Garlic and Herb Festival. September 9th. The Mohawk Valley's climate and soils are ideal for growing garlic and herbs, which is why we have so many local producers. The Garlic and Herb Festival is a non-profit agricultural festival that aims to provide information to area would-be farmers and gardeners pertaining to the benefits of growing these crops, as well as serving as the annual market in which to buy the finest and freshest garlic and herbs in New York. The Garlic and Herb Festival also supports the local arts community by including local artisans and musicians in the festival, and by donating a portion of the proceeds to its outstanding Canal Place neighbor and local non-profit Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts. For more information, visit the Garlic and Herb Festival website!
- Oktoberfest. October 19th, starting at 3:30pm. Leaves are blowing, yummy craft beer is flowing, and pumpkins are glowing! It's Oktoberfest in Little Falls! Celebrate the harvest season with Bavarian-themed fun on Main Street, with street music, buskers, kids' events, and beer and wine tastings!
- Christmas in Little Falls. December 9th. Nearly a decade old now, Christmas in Little Falls is a fun, family-oriented holiday celebration brought to you by the businesses and not-for-profit agencies serving Little Falls, New York. Our fun and mostly FREE events have drawn thousands of visitors from throughout the Mohawk Valley to get into the holiday spirit by celebrating in our quaint, scenic town located on the Erie Canal. We invite YOU to join us for a wonderful day of visiting with Santa, listening to great music, horse and carriage rides, holiday movies, Christmas cookie decorating, cultural events, historical tours and exhibits, open houses, story readings, and much, much MORE! For more information, visit the Christmas in Little Falls website!